I’m submitting this as part of The Prairie Homestead’s Monday Barn Hop.
Many may wonder why I want to go through all the work and effort behind homesteading when I have a grocery store and a convenience store right just a few doors up from me.
There are a number of reasons behind my efforts:
- Fresh fruits and veggies will have us eating healthier
- We’ll save money on produce and in other areas
- We’ll know exactly what goes into our what we’re eating or using
- Teach Natalie where her food comes from
- New adventure/hobby
- Help break my addiction to technology and live simpler
- Overall better quality of life for our family as a whole
The Gardell Homestead’s Mission Statement:
To use and protect the natural resources that God has given us, while learning important life skills and passing them along to our children.
To help further focus my intentions for this endeavor, I’ve developed loose goals for one year, five years and ten years from now.
One year from now, I’d like to:
- establish 2 raised bed gardens
- put up a clothes line
- learn how to make soap
- make my own laundry soap
- give homemade/homegrown Christmas gifts
Five years from now, I’d like to:
- teach Natalie to tend her own plant or two
- add 2 more raised beds along with hanging baskets
- have a matured composting system
- have a rain barrel which supplies all the water for the garden
Ten years from now, I’d like to:
- have chickens for free-range eggs
- have an established enough garden to sell produce at a farmers market (or set up mini CSA)
- be established enough in my soap production to sell at a farmers market or online
- give Natalie her own raised bed to tend